Monday, February 1, 2010

And So It Begins...

This weekend I went home to Jersey and started my collection for the 'Fashion For Philanthropy' Fashion show!! My mother and I were slaving over the sewing machine all day Saturday to crank out some of the first pieces. Take a looksie...
I'm literally drowning in tulle. The collection is inspired by Villains, so I've decided to use tulle and leather. You may think they mix like oil and vinegar, but from a fashion point of view, they're beginning to make one sick collection. 
The pink skirt I constructed by folding 4 yards of pink tulle in half, then gathered it evenly  to fit into a 28 inch waist band that I made out of a faux leather/vinyl. The green skirt was more difficult to construct. I used 26, YES 26, yards of green citrus tulle. I cut 4 pieces of 6 yards each. 2 were cut full length to make the longest layer, 1 was folded in half to make the third and fourth layer and the last was folded into thirds to make the fifth, sixth, and seventh layer. I sewed them all together to make one long layered pieces and then gathered it to fit into a 25 inch waist band, also made out of the faux leather/vinyl. 

OOF, and this was all in the first day. 

And so.... the journey the continues.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love what you are doing with the tulle...I am a senior this year and really wanted to get something fun to wear to senior ball and this fits right in with what I was thinking...I don't think I will be making mine from scratch though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the top photo with all the tulles together--unexpected colors, but they compliment each other beautifully. Will there be a dress with all those tulles together or are you going to keep them separate and just pair each color singularly with black?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I have enough tulle I'm going to try and layer some crazy colorfull piece, but as of right now I'm sticking to all the same color.

    Katelynn- If you attend the fashion show, let me know what you think and if you like something, I'd be so happy if you wore it to Senior Ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyy I'm so excited! I can't wait to see it all :) :) :)

    Also, 1) I am a bum because after harassing you to make sure you could go to the meeting tomorrow, I can't. And 2) Tom is an embarrassing freak, and I'm sorry that that is your first impression of him hahah.

    ReplyDelete